The Ben Jerry’s founders knew nothing about making ice cream—so they took a $5 class. Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield at The Ben and Jerry’s One Heart, One World Festival in 1992. To learn how to make ice cream — the core of their business plan — the pair split a $5 correspondence course from Penn State.
Where did Ben and Jerry’s ice cream shop start?
- The year was 1978, and young besties Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield decided they wanted to start a company. They briefly considered bagels, but the equipment was too expensive, so they opted for opening an ice cream shop in a converted gas station in Vermont.
- 1 How did Ben and Jerry’s ice cream start?
- 2 Why did Ben and Jerry start making ice cream?
- 3 What did Ben and Jerry do before ice cream?
- 4 What did Ben and Jerry originally want to make?
- 5 Who owns Ben & Jerry’s ice cream now?
- 6 Where is the original Ben and Jerrys?
- 7 Are Ben and Jerry still involved with the company?
- 8 What influenced Ben Cohen to start Ben and Jerrys?
How did Ben and Jerry’s ice cream start?
It all started in 1978 when Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, who met in seventh grade gym class on Long Island, opened their first-ever ice cream parlor. They set up shop in a renovated gas station in Burlington with a $12,000 investment. That’s small potatoes in the business world.
Why did Ben and Jerry start making ice cream?
When we began, the game was for Jerry to make a flavor I could taste with my eyes closed. To do that he had to make ice creams that were intensely flavored.” Not all of their early ice creams were successful, as Cohen told LIFE in 1987: “We tried and failed with our first batch of Rum Raisin in 1977. It was rubbery.
What did Ben and Jerry do before ice cream?
At first, the pair thought about making bagels but decided the necessary equipment was too expensive. Instead, they settled on ice cream. They took a $5 course on ice-cream making and in 1978 opened the first Ben & Jerry’s in a converted Burlington gas station.
What did Ben and Jerry originally want to make?
Ben & Jerry’s was originally going to be a bagel company, but Ben and Jerry found the bagel-making equipment to be too pricey. Their plan was to deliver bagels, lox, cream cheese, and the New York Times on Sunday mornings.
Who owns Ben & Jerry’s ice cream now?
Are Ben and Jerry a couple? Even though Ben and Jerry have always been close, they are not a couple.
Where is the original Ben and Jerrys?
When it comes to social activism, no topic is off limits for Ben & Jerry’s, said its CEO Matthew McCarthy at Tuesday’s Fortune Connect summit.
Are Ben and Jerry still involved with the company?
After more than 20 years as an independent enterprise, Ben & Jerry’s became a wholly owned subsidiary of Unilever.
What influenced Ben Cohen to start Ben and Jerrys?
Bored with their lives and wanting to do something that would be “fun,” boyhood friends Cohen and Greenfield decided to start a food business in 1977. At first they considered making bagels. But when the necessary equipment turned out to cost more than they could afford, they settled for ice cream instead.