What are the requirements to become a school bus driver?
- Being selected for a school bus driver job usually requires that an applicant holds a high school diploma or GED. Applicants must possess a commercial driver’s license ( CDL ) with a passenger endorsement.
- 1 Is it hard to learn to drive a school bus?
- 2 How do I become a school bus driver?
- 3 Is driving a school bus a good job?
- 4 Do you need a CDL to drive a school bus?
- 5 Is driving a bus hard?
- 6 Do school bus drivers get unemployment in the summer?
- 7 How long does it take to become a bus driver?
- 8 What do school bus drivers do during the day?
- 9 Can you drive a school bus for personal use?
- 10 What to know before buying a bus?
Is it hard to learn to drive a school bus?
There’s a reason that great school bus drivers are difficult to find and keep: driving a school bus requires more than just driving skill and patience. The job requires a unique skill set, and it’s not as easy as you’d think.
How do I become a school bus driver?
How to become a school bus driver
- Completing high school.
- Getting a commercial driver’s license.
- Completing training.
- Getting hired.
- Maintain license: Drivers will need to pass physical exams every two years to maintain a license to drive a school bus.
Is driving a school bus a good job?
Good Paying Job. A career in the bus driving industry can mean making up to $44,000 per year. Extra earning opportunities are usually available as well. There are also several opportunities to pick up extra hours, as well as receive employee benefits from the school.
Do you need a CDL to drive a school bus?
Guidance: Yes. Any driver of a bus that is designed to transport 16 or more persons, or that has a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, is required to obtain a CDL in the applicable class with a passenger endorsement. This includes drivers transporting empty school buses on a public highway.
Is driving a bus hard?
Driving a bus is not that much more complicated than driving a car. You do have to be more careful, given the length and weight of a bus, as well as the responsibility you have to your passengers. However, the basics are the same, though you may need to learn to shift if you’ve never driven a standard before.
Do school bus drivers get unemployment in the summer?
School bus drivers don’t get a paycheck during the summer break, and they also can’t draw on unemployment under state law.
How long does it take to become a bus driver?
Suitable candidates will be given full training to pass the tests required to gain the bus driving entitlement (category D). How long will it take to become a bus driver with Go‑Ahead London? Your initial licence acquisition training will last approximately 7-8 weeks.
What do school bus drivers do during the day?
The bus driver completes full inspections of the vehicle every day. They check the lights, tire pressure, doors, windshield wipers, fluid levels and brakes. They also check weather conditions to make sure it’s safe to make the trip.
Can you drive a school bus for personal use?
Driving a School Bus for Personal Use Yes you can. It’s a common misconception that school buses are “commercial vehicles,” which would be better phrased as “vehicles that are often used for commercial purposes.” If you purchase a school bus and register it for personal use, then there is nothing commercial about it.
What to know before buying a bus?
Carefully Inspect the Used Bus
- Engine — Choose the right-size engine; don’t over-buy.
- Mileage — Don’t value the age of a bus.
- Leaks — These are easy to spot.
- Documentation — A reputable dealer will have the title and service records on file.
- Chassis — Look over the paint job for scratches, dents and rust.