Game of Thrones language lessons: Learn High Valyrian in 5 easy steps
- Roll those Rs. “Roll every ‘R’ you see,” says Peterson.
- Learn from Grey Worm.
- Study Valyrian for free on Duolingo.
- Order a burger and shake.
- Work it into everyday conversation.
- 1 Is it easy to learn High Valyrian?
- 2 Is High Valyrian an actual language?
- 3 How do you say hello in High Valyrian?
- 4 Where do you speak High Valyrian?
- 5 What is dothraki based on?
- 6 Which language is easiest to learn?
- 7 What language does Drogo speak?
- 8 Is Valar Morghulis a real word?
- 9 What does Kirimvose mean?
- 10 How do you say GREY worm in Valyrian?
- 11 How do you say love in Dothraki?
- 12 How many people are learning High Valyrian in duolingo?
- 13 Who created Dothraki language?
- 14 What language does daenerys speak to her dragons?
Is it easy to learn High Valyrian?
It’s logical – Once you start understanding how High Valyrian works, the classes, how words conjugate, and get used to the grammar, you realise High Valyrian is quite easy. There are very few exceptions or irregular verbs, so it does make life easy for you.
Is High Valyrian an actual language?
The Valyrian languages are a fictional language family in the A Song of Ice and Fire series of fantasy novels by George R. R. Martin, and in their television adaptation Game of Thrones. In the novels, High Valyrian and its descendant languages are often mentioned but not developed beyond a few words.
How do you say hello in High Valyrian?
High Valyrian Phrases that Every Game of Thrones Fan Must Know:
- Rytsas – Hello.
- Kessa – Yes.
- Daor – No.
- Kirimvose – Thank you.
- Kostilus – Please, perhaps.
- Geros ilas – Goodbye.
- Valar morghulis – All men must die.
- Valar dohaeris – All men must serve.
Where do you speak High Valyrian?
High Valyrian is the language of the old Valyrian Freehold which was located on the eastern continent of Essos. Much of Essos was once dominated by the Valyrians for thousands of years, stretching from the Free Cities in the west, to Slaver’s Bay in the east.
What is dothraki based on?
George R.R. Martin has stated that the Dothraki are inspired by a loose mix of the Mongols, Huns, Alans, Turks, Native American plains tribes, and various other nomadic horse-riding peoples who lived on the open steppe. In appearance, the Dothraki are a large people, with copper-toned skin, dark eyes, and dark hair.
Which language is easiest to learn?
10 Easiest Languages for English speakers to learn
- Afrikaans. Like English, Afrikaans is in the West Germanic language family.
What language does Drogo speak?
Peterson also designed another of the fictional languages heard throughout “Game of Thrones”: Dothraki, which is spoken by Jason Momoa’s character Khal Drogo and his tribe. The linguist developed this language first, in response to an online competition launched by the show’s producers before the series first aired.
Is Valar Morghulis a real word?
Valar morghulis is a High Valyrian saying originating from Braavos, a city located on the northwestern tip of Essos. It means “all men must die,” and it’s usually answered with the phrase valar dohaeris, meaning “all men must serve.”
What does Kirimvose mean?
I am good, thank you.
How do you say GREY worm in Valyrian?
The name Daenerys uses when talking to Grey Worm is: “ Torgo Nudho,” which when translated from High Valyrian means, “Grey Worm.” So there you have it…the mystery is solved; Torgo Nudho simply means Grey Worm in High Valyrian.
How do you say love in Dothraki?
How do you say I love you in Dothraki and High Valyrian? In Dothraki: Anha zhilak yera.
How many people are learning High Valyrian in duolingo?
Duolingo, the free language app, offers lessons in High Valyrian, the fictional tongue of the ruined city Valyria on the HBO TV show “Game of Thrones.” Today, High Valyrian has 822,000 active learners, or those who have used the course in the last 12 months.
Who created Dothraki language?
Linguist and author David Peterson created the Dothraki and High Valyrian languages spoken in HBO’s “Game of Thrones” and has invented languages for other TV shows.
What language does daenerys speak to her dragons?
From the posts here, I am able to understand that Daenerys orders Drogon in the High Valyrian language, when she says Dracarys. The names of the three Dragons are Drogon, Viserion and Rhaegal. Dracarys is High Valyrian for Dragonfire.